Rainbow Dark


 



Rainbow Dark



I’m red with rusted coif
Like ruined Jersey fruit
Carries all the shame.
My cheeks crimson
With love and anger.
The thrumming of this heart,
A poisoned sanguine tide
Races through chambers, rushes in place.

The ardor of an orange summer
Melted midriffs hollow
Like paraffin under the wick.
The stuff of sticky innocence.
Sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, peach
Fill the torrid crust of me
Until the sun’s demure retreat
Heralds Autumn in crisp concession.

Deposit green, counterfeit.
Permission slips ahead of caution,
Fresh, fragrant, fruition.
Nascent and naive I fumble.
Envy picks up the ball
And scores, in sick defeat
The foamy rip tide sucks
Flotsam, flings the weed unanchored.

Cast in the blue, deluged.
Hypoxic, hypnotic moon
Shines, its violent beam
Refusing to drown the doldrums.
There appears a jay, descanting.
Arise to bear my heft aloft.
Firmament embrace and like a kite
I poise ‘til reeled aground.

Amid empurpled peaks,
I pluck what one might call a plum.
I'm a prince in kingly dress, 
Who's disinterred his happiness. 
As we embarked inviolate,
In violet and lavender and leather
Wafting in the mellow currents,
Ignorant, engulfed in haze, of lilac’s end.

Yellow: lastly, yanked out of place,
The complexion of looming end,
Of metastatic hepatic breakdown.
Hospital hospice jaundice
Sick saffron tincture, the face of loss.
A golden bird of a coal cold mine
Let the lamp yield craven light. 
In stillness, in darkness, the dark

Comments